NYC’s Masseria dei Vini Adds a Modern Twist to Traditional Italian Fare

A Friday evening at New York City’s Masseria dei Vini feels like becoming transported to a loved ones-run restaurant in the hillside towns of Puglia, Italy. From its hospitality to its traditional white tablecloth and picket chair setup, the ambiance exudes the warmth and allure of staying welcomed house by distant relations.

Fashioned by childhood good friends and natives from Capri, Peppe Iuele, Enzo Ruggiero, and Govt Chef Pino Coladonato all met and finally turned associates although working jointly in Italy. The trio’s very first undertaking, La Masseria, opened in New York’s Theater District in 2004. They went on to start out a series of cafes and dining places throughout the U.S., and at some point Masseria dei Vini in 2014 — we adore a wholesome origin story.

The Atmosphere

Nestled a couple of blocks absent from New York’s Columbus Square and its theatre district, Masseria dei Vini is conveniently positioned in Hell’s Kitchen to be the excellent end for a pre-present food. Match for a specific situation, business supper, or a meal with family, the natural environment seemed to provide a little one thing for everybody. Upon getting into, we ended up welcomed by a stream of vibrant staff members and instantly seated against a amazing wall of glass-enclosed wine bottles. The lights shimmered in the very well-lit dining place, as accents of farm tools lined the walls, having to pay homage to Masseria dei Vini’s namesake, this means ‘fortified farmhouses.’

The Wine

With a identify like Masseria dei Vini, it was no surprise that the cafe highlighted far more than 400 wine labels, with 90 percent of people labels exported from Italy, and the other 10 per cent from around the entire world. Acquiring just taken a vacation to Italy, my eating companion and I flipped by way of the web page-turning wine menu, pointing at all the the wines that arrived from towns we passed via. We decided to just take comfort in a bottle of Montepulciano, next fond reminiscences of our keep there. I was happy to find a broad vary of equally economical and greater-finish wines, several of which came by the glass as properly. Our server promptly brought out a complimentary breadbasket with lentils marinated in rosemary and olive oil, an unsuspecting but scrumptious mixture.

The Menu

The menu spotlights each day crudos, household created pastas, and wood-oven pizzas, all seriously motivated by dishes from Puglia. For our Antipasti, we shared the Terra Mare – a grilled octopus and cuttlefish medley that sat on a bed of fava bean purée and fried Tropea onions. The seafood tasted loaded and meaty, even though remaining mild in texture. With a vary of intriguing antipasti alternatives, this felt like the type of position where you try out not to skip the appetizer.

Craving a convenience meal, I opted for the Penne Alla Masseria for my future course. The penne was blended in a creamy tomato sauce, and topped with bacon, radicchio and smoked mozzarella cheese, adding heartiness to every bite. My eating companion selected the far more attention-grabbing and traditional dish, the Orecchiette Alla Barese, originating from Bari. The dish highlighted ‘little ears’-shaped pasta with broccoli rabe and crumbled Italian sausage in a spicy broccoli and garlic sauce. The wide variety of household-designed pasta designs and forms manufactured for a challenging assortment system.


For our main study course, we took our server’s suggestion to share the Coniglio Alla Caprese, a regular dish from Capri and Ischia. Fantastically plated and cooked to the ideal consistency, the dish comprised of an oven-roasted rabbit with contemporary herbs in a white wine sauce, served with kale salad and mashed potatoes. Every bite was richer and additional tender than the past. Take note that this image only exhibits a 50 percent portion that the servers plated for us just before bringing it out.

With barely any home left, we rounded out our time at Masseria dei Vini with a tiramisu. It was a melt-in-your-mouth finale that furnished a gentle and comforting last chunk at the stop of a satisfying meal.

See Also


Masseria dei Vini hits the place with its attentive services, reliable dishes, and primary location. It lacks the pretension of many other great eating institutions in New York. I’ll be back to try out one of their wooden-oven pizzas!

Masseria dei Vini

Web-site

887 9th Avenue New York, NY

Previous post Holiday Salad with Balsamic Dressing
Fudgy Chocolate Recipe Using Archana's Kitchen Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Mix by Archana's Kitchen Next post Fudgy Chocolate Recipe Using Archana’s Kitchen Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Mix by Archana’s Kitchen